Tuesday, 15 January 2013

Austerity — the Biggest Con Ever

The gap between rich and poor has grown faster in Britain than in any other developed country over recent decades. Taxes for the rich have been cut, whilst social security benefits for the poor are being scaled back. Public services, including the National Health Service, and virtually all services provided by local authorities are being cut. All in the name of austerity. All with the ludicrously false claim that our country is too poor to provide these services at former levels, that we simply do not have the money, and that we must cut public expenditure or face some dire calamity that will bring ruin to us all.

These claims are not just false. They are intended to deceive us, to bully us into accepting the need for so-called austerity.

The need for austerity is a myth. A total lie, designed to make the richest 1% richer still, and to keep the rest of us, the 99%, in our place, ready to serve our masters as slaves in all but name.


At the beginning of the twentieth century, the National Debt stood at about 30 percent of GDP. It rose above 150 percent in World War I and stayed relatively high until dropping below 100 percent in the early 1960s. By the 1970s, debt declined to 50 percent of GDP, and dropped to 25 percent by 1990. The National Debt began to increase again in the aftermath of the worldwide financial crisis of 2008, and today is the same as it was in the late 1960s.

But this does not mean that there is a ‘debt crisis’. It means that the UK government owes £1,526,000,000,000 — which is approximately 59% of the total UK economy for one year.

In fact, the only time since the early 1700s when the national debt has been lower than it is now was during the period between the latter decades of the 19th century and the start of World War I. The level of debt we have now is completely normal. It is a feature of the economic system. It is nothing more than an aspect of how it works.


That today’s debt constitutes a problem is a complete and utter fiction, conconcted and spread by the richest 1% and their friends in government so as to keep the rest of us under their heel, and to ‘justify’ the government’s ‘difficult’ decision to slam the most vulnerable, the sick, the disabled, the unemployed, with cuts to their entitlements within the Welfare State.

The government is lying to you. It is lying to all of us. It distorts facts and figures to suit its purpose. And it’s purpose? To make themselves and their millionaire friends richer, and to do that by making the rest of us poorer. And it’s method is to demonise the poor, lie about the sick and disabled. Drip, drip, drip the deceit to a compliant press that little by little deceives people into thinking that most disabled people are frauds, deliberately merging the criminal with the disabled person.

It is time to fight back.



No comments:

Post a Comment